Skip to content ↓

What Financial Help Can I Get?

Tuition fee loan

Tuition fee loans are available to help pay the cost of your tuition fees. They are paid directly to Poole SCITT on your behalf. You can apply for a tuition fee loan up to the full cost of the tuition fee from Student Finance England. Tuition fee loans are not repayable until you are earning over £21,000 a year.
If you are an EU student from outside the UK, please see funding for EU students

Maintenance loan for living costs

You can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. Maintenance Loans are paid into your bank account at the start of each term. The exact amount you can borrow depends on your household income. For 2024/25 you can receive up to £8,610 if you live at home, and up to £10,227 if you live away from home.

Maintenance loans are not repayable until you are earning over £21,000 a year.

Training Bursary

Unfortunately, there are currently no bursaries for Primary Teaching courses.

For more financial information visit

Health care costs

Students aged 19 or over are not automatically entitled to help with health costs such as prescriptions, dentists, opticians etc. However, you can apply to the NHS Low Income Scheme by completing Form HC1 to see if you qualify for help.  

Council tax

As a full time student you can apply for council tax reduction / exemption. This depends on who lives in your household. You will need an official letter to apply, which can be downloaded from Kingston University once you have enrolled and started on the course.

Please tell me more about Council Tax: Discounts for full-time students – GOV.UK (

Other financial support

Disabled Students can apply for extra financial support through Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs). These grants are paid in addition to the standard student finance package. They do not depend on income and do not have to be repaid.

Please tell me more about disabled student support

If you have child or adult dependants you can apply for extra financial support. These are in the  form of the Adult Dependants Grant, Childcare Grant and Parents Learning Allowance.
Please tell me more about support for Student finance: Extra help – GOV.UK (

When and where to apply for financial support

For more information visit

For 2024-25 Student Finance you can apply from March 2024 at